In the world of blogging and Instagram, I know it can definitely feel like bloggers wear an outfit ONCE and then you never see it again… and readers are left thinking “how unrealistic is that?!” The truth is, bloggers DO get lots of gifted items, and are sometimes sponsored by brands to promote certain items- meaning yeah, sometime we (they? We?) only wear some looks once or twice. There’s also a ton of pressure in this industry (coupled with the increasingly “disposable” nature of just about everything in society these days!) to constantly and consistently produce “new” content featuring new outfits- and while I’m def not immune to these pressures, I do pride myself (and my husband and bank account are very grateful I’m sure!) in “remixing” favorite pieces and looks. After all, it’s part of why I named my blog “TheLittleGoldMix”! I truly believe that if you buy the right closet staples (for YOU and your lifestyle), it’s so much easier to MIX in fresh pieces- and way more economical too! So I figured I’d share with you guys what my top 10 closet staples are- my “hero” pieces that you guys have seen me where time and time again- the essential building blocks of my wardrobe:
- Denim overalls : I actually own multiple pairs, but these Madewell classics are the ones I go back to constantly- the fit is impeccable and there’s just the right amount of stretch and structure.
2. Black skinny jeans: my favorites are also by Madewell- I wore my original pair of these so many times I’ve had to buy two back up pairs- pricey, but SO worth every penny!
3. A (faux) leather mini skirt: one of my absolute fave pieces; I worn multiple colors but a black one can be dressed up or down, (down, preferably) and gives all my outfits just the right edgy tomboy feel that I love.
4. Classic ripped knee jeans: my current faves are these high waisted Levi’s. If you’ve been hesitant about jumping on the 90s mom-ish jeans bandwagon, but have found the fit difficult- TRY THESE! The small percentage of elastase keeps the fit on point and comfort than some 100% cotton ones.
5. A leather Moto jacket: A MUST! I wear mine year round; in the winter layered over sweaters and even on cooler summer nights with shorts. Usually I’m ok w faux leather, but in the case of moto jackets, I say splurge a little- there’s nothing better than the buttery feel of real leather- plus faux jackets I find to be too hot. I’ve had this particular one for at least 6 years, and it’s still going strong!
6. Classic white sneakers: my current faves are these Golden Goose Deluxe Superstars… def a splurge, but remember, my whole point in this post is that these ten items are the basics that I build my entire wardrobe around- so $300 sneakers may seem pricey, but I pair them with cheapie tees and jeans year round, at least 3x a week! My affordable faves are def these classic Stan Smiths.
7. Leather loafer mules: you guys KNOW by now how obsessed I am with this shoe style. I’ve owned all kinds- from $16 forever 21 faux leather ones, to mid range Sam Edelman pairs, to my current sole mates, my gold Gucci princetown slippers. The good news is that there are SO many styles of these available now, you don’t need to spend a fortune to get good ones- below find my favorite affordable pair.
8. A special blazer: this plaid blazer was def one of my most worn pieces these past few seasons. Find a blazer that you love- striped, patterns, plaid, or even solid color- I promise you’ll reach for it over and over again to feel pulled together. A super chic affordable version here.
9. A floral or other patterned mini dress: I have a few that are always in heavy rotation: get one with a casual vibe that you can wear with tights in the cooler temps with booties , and barelegged in warmer months with sneaks, sandals or slides.
10. A casual button down top: I wear these all the time, year round- my fave long sleeved one is an army green; my fave short sleeved is a plaid. Tuck ‘em into skirts or denim, or pair under overalls.
Hopefully j this post helps you rethink your closet in terms of mixing and remixing pieces- and editing what you own down to pieces you really LOVE and reach for again and again!